Retrospective and exhibition in the Deutsches Filmmuseum and the Deutsches Architektur Museum from 31 March to 4 July 2004, Frankfurt, Germany.
Stanley Kubrick Retrospective and Exhibition 27 June 04
Categories: Exhibition / museum
Saw the last third of this rare exhibition filling two museums, this time including:
- the red space helmet from 2001: A Space Odyssey
- various large-format color transparencies of planets used for space shots
- high-resolution black and white photos of space ships for some of their static shots, mounted on cardboard and cut out, with the edges blackened using magic marker to hide the cuts
- the ape suit for Moonwatcher worn by Dan Richter (Note: Dan was a friend of John Lennon’s, and some may have seen him in the documentary Imagine: John Lennon  in which Lennon is approached by a confused young fan who managed to get onto his estate—Lennon was rather kind to him, and Dan stood protectively nearby. Also, Dan took the lovely photo of John and Yoko used on the cover of the album John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band)
- a small engineering model and technical drawings for the centrifuge in which many of the space station shots were made
- the mask worn by Tom Cruise in Eyes Wide Shut
- the cane used by Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange
- the Adler typewriter Jack Nicholson used in The Shining (In one extensive scene where he was sitting in bed talking to Wendy, Jack Torrance was wearing a t-shirt with a large eagle on it. “Adler” is German for eagle, and of course the eagle is a very powerful animal in Native American mythology.>>)
- Title: Stanley Kubrick Retrospective and Exhibition
Full Metal Jacket 27 June 04
Categories: Film / in-a-cinema
"We will defend to our death the right to be misinformed."
I had forgotten about the scene where the GI has himself photographed while “posing” with a dead NVA (North Vietnamese Army) soldier.
I love Kubrick’s “reticence” about his films, often raised as a reproach. He put so much into his work.
The spirit of the VC (Viet Cong) sniper—a young woman fighting from a building with the sign My Toán, and the only heroic figure in the film—rises like a flame from the core of a Bengalese Fire.
Title: Full Metal Jacket [Definition=>]
Directed by: Stanley Kubrick
Starring: Matthew Modine, Adam Baldwin, Vincent D’Onofrio, R.Lee Ermey, Dorian Harewood, Kevyn Major Howard, Arliss Howard, Ed O’Ross, John Terry, Vivian Kubrick, and more…
Screenplay by: Stanley Kubrick, Michael Herr “&” Gustav Hasford
Cinematography: Douglas Milsome
Original music by: Vivian Kubrick
Non-original music by: Jeff Barry, Tom T. Hall, Lee Hazlwood, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Domingo Samudio
Editing: Martin Hunter
Cinema: Filmmuseum, Frankfurt
- Title: Full Metal Jacket